- Tel: 01248 812910
Beaumaris is a Retained Duty System (RDS) station.
RDS firefighters are skilled individuals who do ordinary jobs and offer evening, daytime and/or weekend cover.
Geographical Area covered:
Beaumaris, Llangoed, Penmon and Llanddona areas (South East Anglesey).
Sites of Risk:
Bluewater Fish Farm, Hotel and Residential Homes and a number of remote rural properties.
The current building was built in 1870 as a school and was converted to a fire station in 1962 by Anglesey County Council.
Ieuan Wyn Jones Assembly member for Anglesey officially opened the newly refurbished fire station in September 2008 following an investment of £430,000 to modernise the facilities.
The fire station was previously located 500 yards around the corner in a small garage and was established in 1863 by Sir Richard Williams Bulkeley. The engine was horse drawn and the firefighters had the right to commandeer the nearest horse in a call out.
All firefighters were volunteers who were insured by the borough council and paid 1/- for attending the monthly fire drill, together with loss of earnings when on fire duty. In 1865 the owners of properties within the borough which caught fire were charged £1 for a call out while those outside the town boundary paid £2. By 1913 these charges had increased to two guineas and five guineas respectively. During World War II the fire brigade became the responsibility of the National Fire Service (NFS) staffed by full time firefighters assisted by part time auxiliaries, some of which assisted during the Blitz inLiverpool.
Work in the community:
Beaumaris help run the annual fireworks event in the town and have community groups such as the brownies visiting the station.