House fire in NefynPosted
Two people were rescued from fire in a property in Nefyn last night.
Firefighters from Pwllheli and Nefyn attended a fire in a property at Pentreuchaf, Gwynedd at 1.51am this morning (Saturday 15th February).
Crews used a hose reel and four sets of breathing apparatus during the incident and brought a man and a woman out of the property. They were both treated at the scene by staff from the Welsh Ambulance Service.
The cause of the fire was cooking left unattended.
Elian Roberts, from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, said: “This couple was very lucky last night. The smoke alarms operated in the property but they didn’t hear them.
"Luckily, the neighbour heard the alarm and went to check on the property, saw the smoke, and called the fire and rescue service. This could have been a very different incident had she not have heard the alarm going off."
Here are Eilian's top tips for safety in the kitchen:
- If you leave the room take the cooking off the heat
- Don't use matches or lighters to light gas cookers. Spark devices are safer
- Always make sure that any handles are turned away from the edge of the cooker
- Keep the oven, hob and grill clean - a build-up fat and grease can easily catch fire
- Never hang anything to dry above the cooker
- Take care if you are wearing loose clothing as it can easily catch fire
- When you've finished cooking make sure everything is turned off
- Turn off electrical appliances when they are not being used
- Never use a chip pan - use a thermostatically controlled deep fat fryer, air fryer or use oven chips
- Get fitted with smoke alarms - they are free of charge and could save your life.
- Never run back into the property, once you are out stay out! Inhaling the smoke could seriously affect your chances of coming out of the property a second time.
- Cooking after drinking is a recipe for disaster. Countless fires are caused each year by people returning home from the pub and deciding to cook a snack for themselves before going to bed. Play it safe, and prepare a snack before you go out or pick up a take away on the way home instead.