National Chip Pan Safety WeekPosted 17/02/2014 14:10:36
North Wales Fire and Rescue Service is urging residents to reduce the chance of having a fire in their home by throwing away their chip pan during National Chip Week (17th Feb - 23rd Feb).
Terry Williams, Head of Community Safety, said "Leaving a chip pan unattended for any length of time can have disastrous results as the oil can easily overheat and ignite. A simple switch from the pan to the oven or a temperature controlled deep-fat fryer can help prevent the worst.
"From the chip shop to the kitchen table, chips will quite rightly be on the menu this week - but the smallest distraction when using a hot chip pan could lead to a fire in a matter of moments.
"Oven chips are a safer and healthier way to enjoy your favourite, but if you do choose to deep fat fry please don't leave the pan unattended. If your pan does catch light, don't throw water over it- get out, stay out and call 999."
If you do choose to deep fat fry your chips, these all-year-round fire safety tips could help reduce the risk:
• Don't overfill a chip pan with oil - never fill it more than one-third full
• Be careful that it doesn't overheat - hot oil can catch fire easily
• Use a thermostat-controlled deep-fat fryer, which will make sure the fat doesn't get too hot
• Never throw water on a chip pan fire
• Got the post pub munchies? Don't cook after drinking alcohol
• In the event of a fire, have an escape route in place
• Don't take risks by tackling a fire. Get out, stay out and call 999
• Get a smoke alarm and test it regularly
North Wales Fire and Rescue Service offer free home fire safety checks, where a member of the Service will visit your home, give fire safety hints and tips, help you to formulate a fire escape plan and fit new alarms - all free of charge. This service is available to all residents inNorth Wales.
To register for a free home fire safety check, please call the 24 hour free hotline on 0800 169 1234, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.nwales-fireservice.org.uk.