Fire Safety during Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adha
The risk of fire can increase during major religious festivals.
Eid - fire safety tips
- Ensure you have smoke alarms on every floor of your home - test them weekly to make sure they work.
- We urge you to be extra careful that clothing is kept well away from naked flames. Stay alert while cooking and make sure scarves and sleeves from hijaabs, shalwar kameez and saris are out of the way as they can easily catch fire.
- Never fill more than one third of your cooking pan with oil.
- If the oil starts to smoke, turn off the heat and leave it to cool.
Never leave your cooking pans unattended with the heat switched on.
- If a fire does start don’t try to fight it yourself. Get out stay out, and call 999