Follow these simple guidelines and keep your camping trip safe.
- Tents should ideally be pitched at least 6 metres apart from other tents.
Keep a torch handy.
Never light a candle or have any kind of flame burning apparatus in or near to a tent.
- Keep lighters and matches out of the reach of children.
General advice is to always cook outside and well away from your tent, no matter how large.
Cooking appliances should never be used in small tents.
- Don't cook near flammable materials or long grass.
Store flammable liquids or gas cylinders away from the tent.
- Never smoke inside a tent.
A fire can destroy a tent in 60 seconds so it is essential you have an escape plan and be prepared to cut your way out of the tent if there is fire.
- Make sure everyone knows what to do if their clothes catch fire - stop, drop to the floor and roll to put out the flames.
If somebody else's clothes catch fire, tell or force them to drop and try to smother the flames with a blanket or large item of clothing to quell the flames, then get them to roll.
Find out what the firefighting arrangements are in place for the campsite.
- If you do not have a mobile phone then find out where the nearest phone is located.
For more inforation about campign safety click here.